When a couple decides to get a divorce, the process can be daunting and confusing. There are so many things to think about, from child custody and visitation rights to dividing up property and assets. Many choose to represent themselves in divorce proceedings, but this can be a risky move.
A divorce attorney can help you understand the process, protect your interests, and reach a fair settlement with your former spouse. If you’re considering getting divorced, here are some things to keep in mind when choosing a divorce lawyer.
There are a few things divorce attorneys do for you:
- Help you through the legal proceedings
- Negotiate a fair settlement
- Represent you in court if necessary
- Provide legal advice on child custody
- Help you file for divorce and ensure the paperwork is correct.
Professional Help with Legal Proceedings of a Divorce
If you’re going through a legal separation, don’t go it alone. Divorce can be one of the most complicated and emotional branches of family law. Yes, you will have the pay legal fees, but you will be better off in the end. The legal process for divorce can differ depending on what state you live in.
A good divorce lawyer will thoroughly explain the divorce process and legal proceedings. Divorce cases can become complex, and it’s essential to understand each step in the process. Your attorney should explain and protect your rights.
Divorce Attorneys Can Help Negotiate a Fair Settlement with Your Spouse
When you and your spouse decide to divorce, there are many areas that need to be addressed. One is your marital property such as your home, cars, and monetary assets like savings accounts. If you and your spouse are on good speaking terms, it could benefit all parties to practice collaborative divorce with the help of both of your attorneys.
A collaborative divorce is where both parties agree not to take their case to court and transparently share information to reach an agreement together. Most family lawyers want to keep your best interest in mind while resolving your case quickly.
Divorce Lawyers Can Provide Legal Representation in Court
If your case does end up going to court, divorce lawyers can represent you during your divorce case. An experienced family law attorney will know the process, including filing legal paperwork. If you have children, your divorce lawyer can also help with child custody arrangements during the court proceedings.
If you’re not comfortable representing yourself in court, it’s highly recommended to hire a divorce lawyer.
Divorce Attorneys Can Provide Advice on Custody of Your Children
Family law includes divorce and children. If you are getting divorced and have children, the legal process can be even more complicated, especially if you have a difficult spouse to negotiate with. A good attorney can provide advice on splitting custody, visitation rights, and child support.
If you have a complicated divorce case, it’s essential to choose the right divorce lawyer to protect your interests, including your children.
A Divorce Attorney Can Help with Filing for Divorce
Hiring a divorce lawyer as soon as possible is important. It can be a complicated and stressful process with complicated paperwork that must be completed correctly. The right family law firm will be able to help you sort through the legal proceedings and paperwork. They’ll also ensure you file the correct documentation to begin the process of filing for divorce.
Questions to Ask Before Hiring a Divorce Lawyer
When hiring an attorney, it’s essential to ask the right questions and choose the right attorney for your situation. There’s nothing more important than the attorney-client relationship and feeling confident that your attorney is there to protect your interests. Here are some questions you should ask before hiring a divorce lawyer.
- How many divorce cases have you handled? Getting a divorce is an emotional process. You want to make sure you have a professional attorney who knows what they are doing.
- Do you practice collaborative divorce? If you can keep your case out of the courtroom, you can save yourself time, stress, and money. It’s beneficial to find a good divorce attorney who practices collaborative divorce.
- How does your firm handle sensitive or confidential information? Family law and divorce come with stress and a variety of sensitive information. It’s essential to know how the firm handles and stores your personal and sensitive information.
- What are your attorney fees? This is one of the most important questions to ask any family law attorney. If you are on a budget, you will need to know how you can pay or if you have to provide any upfront cash.
- Who will be handling my case? If you meet with an attorney at a law firm, chances are there may be more than one attorney there handling multiple cases. It’s very important to know if this lawyer will be handling your case or if someone else in the office will be. You want to feel confident about the person handling your case.
- How can I contact you? Another important question to ask is how they will be communicating with you. Will they call you? Text you? Email you? You want to choose a lawyer the is easily accessible. It can be stressful being unable to contact your lawyer when you need them most.
- Will I be notified of updates of my case? Knowing the status and any changes in your case is essential. Choose a lawyer who is transparent and easy to contact.
Contact Bragg Family Law
Ending your marriage is a difficult choice, but the choice of a lawyer doesn’t have to be. Bragg Family Law is a law firm specializing in family law and divorce cases along with various other law practices.
We understand the importance of having the right divorce lawyer on your side and will do our best to protect your interests. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your divorce case. We have experienced divorce lawyers who can help you through this difficult time. Give us a call today at (941) 893-1555.