Divorce – Dissolution of Marriage

Ending Your Marriage

If a couple decides to end their marriage the ultimate goal is for a Court to enter a Final Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage.  This is the document that legally ends a marriage.  In Florida, attorneys use the term “dissolution of marriage” when they refer to divorce proceedings.

There are many paths a couple can take to dissolve a marriage:

  • Kitchen Table Divorce – Where the parties agree over the proverbial “kitchen-table” on the issues facing them.
  • Pre-Suit Mediation – Where the parties attend, with or without attorneys, a session with a mediator to try and negotiate a deal.
  • Uncontested Divorce – Where one party hires an attorney to draft a Marital Settlement Agreement and all other necessary documents which both parties sign.
  • Collaborative Divorce – Where the parties use an alternative model and work with collaborative professionals to come to a unique specifically tailored agreement.
  • Traditional Litigation – Where the parties use the court system to resolve their issues.

No matter what path is taken, it is always best to consult with an experienced family law attorney prior to signing any document or filing same with a Court.  Our divorce attorney, Adam Bragg, believes strongly in alternative dispute resolution particularly in cases dealing with families; however, he also routinely sees parties who try to resolve their cases without competent legal counsel miss vital issues that cause problems co-parenting later, parties agreeing to much less than their legal entitlement, and maybe most important, make decisions without knowing that there are better options for the family.

Simply consulting an attorney does not mean that parties have to go to war.  Consult a knowledge family law attorney who can provide you various options or strategies to take before deciding what is right for your family.  Ending a marriage is always a stressful and emotional time – this is when you need strong representation that is compassionate but also objective to help you through your transition.

Please contact our Family Law Attorney, Adam Bragg to learn more.

Practice Areas

Request an appointment